We have announced our plans to become a Net Zero company by 2040 and have a Net zero supply chain by 2030.
We are looking to work with organisations who have a shared ambition to reduce our environmental impact globally, and particularly those who have demonstrated this commitment through external benchmarks such as Science Based Targets.
Our key suppliers are required to make their own public commitments to Net Zero targets by November 2025.
What are we doing?
- Set Targets – we have set supply chain targets towards achieving Net Zero, including Science-Based Targets
- Tracking and measuring – we are tracking and measuring our progress towards achieving our Science Based Targets
- Training our buyers - annually, we are upskilling our buyers to equip them with the knowledge required to engage their suppliers on sustainability
- Changing our contracts - we are embedding ESG focused contract clauses into all our contracts
- RFP questions - we have included ESG and carbon questions in all our RFP and RFI processes and considered the outcomes when making purchasing decisions
- Onboarding questions - we have included ESG and carbon questions into all supplier onboarding processes
- Supplier engagement activities – hosting in‑person supplier events to engage our suppliers on our Net Zero agenda and provide opportunities for education and collaboration
Supplier Guidance Packs
The guides below provide Aviva suppliers with details of our Aviva Sustainability Ambition and associated operation and supply chain net zero targets.
It shows what you can do to align to our supplier requirements and the steps you can take to join Aviva in our climate journey.
2023 Net Zero Supplier Summit
On the 1 November 2023, we held our second Net Zero Supplier Summit to engage our suppliers on achieving Net Zero and drive action.
The day was well attended with circa 250 attendees, and representatives from over 100 of our supply chain partners.
Here you can access recording of various parts of the day.
Helen Smith, Group Procurement Director, Aviva
Chris Boyle - Supply Chain Sustainability Lead, Aviva
Claudine Blamey - Group Sustainability Director, Aviva
Haseena Solwa - Climate Finance Lead, SBTi
Sarah Robertson - Regional Director (EU), EcoVadis
Charlotte Jones - Group CFO, Aviva
IIana Lassman - Head of ESG, Dell
Ori Chandler - Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Aviva and Firza Sofya Safira - Sustainable Business Lead, Aviva
Kate Norgrove - Director of Advocacy, WWF
Carbon Neutral – Any CO2 released into the atmosphere is balanced by an equivalent amount being removed
CO2e – CO2 equivalent. CO2e signifies the amount of CO2 that would have an equivalent global warming impact.
EcoVadis - an organisation that will assess a company’s sustainability credentials and provide areas for improvement
ESG – Environmental, Social and Governance
GHG – Greenhouse Gas – a gas that absorbs and emits. The most prominent greenhouse gases that are driving climate change are: Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4), and Nitrous Oxide (N2O)
Net Zero – Reducing carbon emissions to as close to zero as possible, and offsetting any residual carbon
Offsetting – Reducing emissions of CO2 or other greenhouse gases made in order to compensate for emissions made elsewhere.
SBTi – Science Based Targets Initiative – a collaboration between UN Global Compact, World Wildlife Fund (WWF), World Resource Institute (WRI) and Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP). An organisation that sets frameworks for companies’ emissions reductions goals in line with climate science. The initiative translates global goals into sector pathways and provides detailed guidance on the levels of reductions required. Companies can apply to have their near-term and long-term emissions reductions goals approved by the initiative
Sequestration – Carbon Sequestration is the process by which atmospheric carbon dioxide is captured and then stored long-term.
Sustainability – Meeting our own needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs, whilst ensuring a balance between economic growth, environmental care and social well-being.
Want to ask a question about sustainability?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org