What are Cookies?
Cookies are small text files placed on your device when you visit a website. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise your visit, collect information about your use of that website and to provide you with a more personalised web experience. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your device's hard drive (or random access memory in the case of session cookies) and some cookies may collect personal data about you.
You can find out about the strictly necessary cookies used on our Website below.
Strictly Necessary Cookies: these cookies are essential in order to enable a user to move around our Website and use their features, such as accessing secure areas of our Website. Without these cookies, a user could not perform basic functions or services they have asked for. These cookies may be set automatically when pages load, or as a result of a user request that cannot be fulfilled without the use of the cookie.
- User input cookies: these first party user input session cookies are typically used to keep track of the user’s inputs when completing online forms over several pages of a website, such as adding items to a shopping cart to keep track of the items the user has selected (e.g. “Select Basic, Regular or Premium cover”).
- Authentication cookies: these are used to keep a user logged in during a browser session (e.g. on MyAviva).
- User centric security cookies: these cookies are used to increase the security of the service that has been explicitly requested by the user. For example, cookies used to detect repeated failed login attempts on a website, or other similar mechanisms designed to protect the login system from abuse.
- Load balancing session cookies: these cookies enable distribution of the processing of web server requests over a pool of machines instead of just one. The information in the cookie has the sole purpose of identifying one of the communication endpoints (one of the servers in the pool) and is thus necessary to carry out the communication over the network.
- Multimedia player cookies: these cookies are used to store technical data needed to play back video or audio content, such as image quality, network link speed and buffering parameters.
- User interface customization cookies: these cookies are used to store a user’s preference regarding a service across web pages and are not linked to other persistent identifiers such as a username. They are only set if the user has explicitly requested the service to remember a certain piece of information, e.g. the user selects a language preference on a multilingual website by clicking on a button.
How to manage cookies on our Website
Cookies do lots of jobs on our Website. However, most browsers and, in some cases, the settings on your mobile device, allow you to disable them if you would like to.
If you disable cookies, you may find that certain parts of our Website do not work at all or do not work correctly.
- write to: The Data Protection Team, Aviva, Pitheavlis, Perth, PH2 0NH; or
- email us: DATAPRT@aviva.com